Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A-OK Rolls (and potato soup)

It's 4 o'clock and #3 is still napping and I'm wishing I could have gotten to the store to buy some rolls to go with our soup tonight.  Not wanting to wake up napper (she's currently teething, so she's happier while sleeping) I turn to my tried and true roll recipe.  Are there rolls out there that are lighter and fluffier?-- Darn tooting there are. My neighbor brings me some of hers! But when you only have a hour 'til dinner time, these are quite tasty for the effort.

 A-OK Rolls
1 1/4 cups water
2 pkg (2TB) yeast
1/2 warm milk
1/3 cup soft butter (or margarine)
1/2 sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
5 1/2 cups of flour*

Add everything to your starting with just 2 cups of flour. Mix for 3 minutes on medium.  Slowly add in reamining flour and continuing mixing for 6 to 8 minutes. Leave it be and go set the table and make a salad.  Now it's time for the fun-- shaping rolls. It's kinda a two hand, greasy job, so I passed the camera to my 5 year-old. I think he did a great job!

Grab a blob of dough about the size of a 1/2 cup measuring cup (I like big buns, and I cannot lie!). And flatten in out a bit.










Here is where the rolls' name comes from. Rub shortening on your hands. Make an OK sign with your non-dominant hand. Put the dough disk over the hole, palm side up. 








Using your other hand's fingers, slowly push the dough through the hole, stretching the outside "skin" smooth in the process and making a nice round shape. It reminds me of blowing a big bubble gum bubble.




















Pinch close the end and place end down on a greased sheet.  Repeat re-greasing hands as necessary. 

























Spray finished rolls with cooking spray and loosely cover with plastic wrap.  Ignore them for 20 mintues while you finish the rest of dinner.  Pre-heat oven to 350.







Remove plastic warp and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. When they are hot from the oven, rub a little butter/margarine over the top for a softer crust. Enjoy!
*I used 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 3 1/2 of white-- which naturally makes a heavier roll.



Oh, wait! The Potato Soup? you say. It's easier than rolls.  Take two boxes of Au Gratin boxed potatoes.  Boil some veggies (carrots and corn are least offensive to my kids) in the water that is called for on the boxes.  When the veggies are almost tender, add potatoes, seasoning packets, chopped ham and milk called for on box, I usually don't add the butter but you could. Now thin it with some more milk and/or water to a soup consistency--sorry no meaurements, I just eyeball it.  Throw some more spices in there, too. I sprinkled a tad of celery salt and black pepper this time.  I usually open my spices, smell the soup and then smell the spice-- if they smell good together, in it goes! Continue simmering on low until potatoes are soft. Ta da! Soup from a box!

No comments:

Post a Comment